Saturday, February 21, 2015

Sassy Saturday: a DIY birthday box for the birthday boy!

Hello, darlings!

Happy Saturday! Today, February 21, is a very special day for someone near and dear to my heart (and to said person, don't act like you didn't know this was coming)...HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MIKE!!!!! That's right, my boyfriend's becoming an old man. So in honor of his sweet 19th, I'm dedicating today's Sassy Saturday post to him. Love you, sweetie!

I apologize to those of you who just barfed - if the relationship thing just isn't your thing, then this post is probably not for you. For those of you who are brave - maybe you're in a committed long-distance relationship or have a friend who lives in a far off land - read onward to see how I'm celebrating my boyfriend's birthday from miles away!

Celebrating birthdays is one of my favorite pastimes.The cooking, the planning, the DIY projects...there's nothing I don't love about parties. But when you're dating a college student who lives far away from you, the party game can be a difficult one to play. So, since I couldn't be there myself, I sent my boyfriend a DIY Birthday-in-a-Box so we could still celebrate!

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the actual birthday box I sent him - I was in a bit of a rush to get it in the mail - but what I can offer you is the how-to and a little birthday box inspiration from around the web. So, without further ado, here is my advice for crafting and sending the perfect DIY Birthday-in-a-Box! Have a Sassy Saturday, everybody :)

Recipe for a Birthday-in-a-Box

The Perfect Box...
Source: C&D Recycling

Make sure it's big enough for all your birthday goodies - and sturdy enough to survive the mail! The box I used had a tuck top, which was perfect because it allowed me to mount a Happy Birthday message on the back so it would be the first thing he'd see when he opened it. For a little more pizzaz, Paper Mart sells colored versions here.

The Proper Trimmings...
  

I lined my Birthday-in-a-Box with confetti-printed tissue paper and scattered some acrylic gems (leftover from my brother's pirate birthday party all those years ago!) across the bottom for a little personality. Make sure to keep your audience in mind: I really, really wanted to use confetti, but since my boyfriend's in a dorm, I knew he'd hate to clean it up. Also, I love glitter - I do, I promise! - but be careful not to glitterbomb your boyfriend, unless you want to continually find sparkles behind his ears for a year. IT. GETS. EVERYWHERE!


The Cutest Card...

I absolutely love the DIY design above - wish I could have thought of something so sweet! Instead, I chose to mount a "Happy Birthday Mike!" sign on the inside of the top flap of the cardboard box, so he'd get my birthday message as soon as he opened it. 

Source: Oh Happy Day

Another idea could be to include a Happy Birthday banner in your box, or to even use your box as a birthday card - the one above is a little effeminate for a boyfriend, but I love the idea just the same! Switch up the colors and it could be simply perfect for your LDR lover. Click here for the tutorial.

A Sweet Treat...
Source: Target

If you're pressed on time or simply too lazy to bake, most grocery stores sell mini birthday cakes or, like Target, single-serve cupcakes. This  cream-cheese filled red velvet cupcake from Target looks so tasty, doesn't it?Too bad it's Lent - no red velvet for me! Ugh, I miss chocolate...and, speaking of chocolate, Target also sells a chocolate one of these cupcakes, which is what I sent to Mike for his birthday (surprise!). You really can't go wrong with Target!

A Birthday Tradition...
Source: Newsworks

What am I talking about? Candles, of course!  Again, keep your audience in mind (and your mind in your head - safety is, of course, a huge issue with candles!): remember that lighters are considered hazardous materials, and that most college dorms won't allow candles, lit or unlit (which is why I didn't send any to Mike). But, if you can swing it, nobody's birthday is complete without a birthday wish - candles are, indeed, the ultimate birthday tradition! 

Source: Catbird

Or, for a cute alternative to candles, Catbird and other sites sell floating wish papers (again, be wary - these require matches to grant wishes) that you can use to create your own birthday tradition with your loved one! Girlfriends beware: Catbird's are sold only in pink.

...and Some Birthday Goodies!

 
Sources (clockwise from top left): CatbirdHappy ThoughtLast Night of FreedomBake at 350

Birthdays call for excess, from streamers to cake to balloons. What else is there to do but to shower your sweetie with gifts 'n' love? Pack your box full of miscellaneous treats, edible and nonedible. Deflated balloons, party poppers, mini pinatas, trading cards, candy, party favors, noisemakers, you name it! Anything goes on a birthday, just as anything goes in love. (And, of course, don't forget the birthday present!) 

More Inspiration for Your Birthday-in-a-Box....


I love the artful arrangement and bright primary colors of this Birthday-in-a-Box by Clever Cupcakes! 

Source: Happiness Is...

Shannon Eileen from Happiness Is posted this adorable Birthday Party in a Box on her blog - and I can't get enough! The printables are adorable, I love the color scheme, and it's not too cutesy, so it's perfect for a guy, while still being pretty and polished. Overall: not a gift I'd mind receiving! 

Source: Oh Party

Source: You Are My Fave

 Melanie Blodgett of You are My Fave is responsible for both of these crafty birthday boxes. Long story short, I will be pinning her, following her, and adoring her until the end of time. Major Birthday-in-a-Box envy!


This box from Smashed Peas and Carrots is Grandma-themed, but no matter: I still think it's the shiz! I used the exact same mini pinata in Mike's box - I filled mine with birthday cake M&Ms. 

Source: Sheridan Anne

Last but not least, we have this delightful birthday box from Sheridan Anne! I was especially drawn to the bunting she created using a die-cutter - so clever, so cute. 




As always, my darlings, thank you for reading my blog! To my fellow long distance lovers: I salute you for knowing that proximity does not trump quality and for sticking by your man no matter what. As for the birthday boy, who I know will be reading this sooner or later: have an awesome, magical nineteenth year! I hope we can spend it and all the rest together. Have a super Sassy Saturday, party like it's your birthday, and tune in tomorrow for the second installment of my Holden & I series, Holden & Feminism. Until then, my loves! 

XOXO, Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment